Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Answering tricky questions

We all have questions. Others challenge us with their questions. It is fascinating for me to see how Jesus dealt with peoples questions. Some he answered. Some he did not. Jesus always seemed to get to the real issue behind the question. This morning I read this account in Mark 11:
And as he was walking in the temple, the chief priests and the scribes and the elders came to him, 28and they said to him, "By what authority are you doing these things, or who gave you this authority to do them?" 29Jesus said to them, "I will ask you one question; answer me, and I will tell you by what authority I do these things. 30Was the baptism of John from heaven or from man? Answer me." 31And they discussed it with one another, saying, "If we say, 'From heaven,' he will say, 'Why then did you not believe him?' 32But shall we say, 'From man'?"— they were afraid of the people, for they all held that John really was a prophet. 33So they answered Jesus, "We do not know." And Jesus said to them, "Neither will I tell you by what authority I do these things."

No comments:

Post a Comment