Thursday, July 9, 2009

I don't know

I am quite comfortable giving this answer to many theological and scientific questions. Why shouldn't I be? There are so many things we do not understand and what I personally do not understand is an even longer list....

How do we reconcile free will with predestination?
Why does God allow suffering?
Why do the evil sometimes prosper?
When is war just and right?
Should Christians support capital punishment?
What happens to people who have never heard the Gospel?
......

It is fine (and to some extent good and appropriate) to wrestle with questions such as these. But part of the life of faith is accepting that I will never have completely satisfactory answers and trusting God anyway...

Living with both certainty and ambiguity and confusion is something I do as a scientist which helps me live in a similar way as a Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment