Monday, August 9, 2010

Reading Revelation II


I am back in Brisbane and at church we are working through the book of Revelation and so I am re-reading Graeme Goldsworthy's book The Gospel in Revelation: Gospel in Apocalypse. My previous post recommending this book generated some great discussion. Here I just list a few of the theses that Goldsworthy ends his chapters with:

The Lion-Lamb tension shows that the Gospel is the only key to the understanding of the book of Revelation.
The theme of the Lion and the Lamb points to the paradox of the normal suffering of Christians and the Victory of Christ
The doctrine of justification is basic to Revelation and woven throughout the book.

The Old Testament perspective of the day of the Lord, which is contained in God's apocalyptic visions, is modified by the Gospel. The linear succession of the ages becomes the overlap of the ages between the first and second comings of Christ.

I find the first two theses particularly helpful. The last one I am still to get my brain around.

The painting is Michelangelo's The Last Judgement in the Sistine Chapel.


No comments:

Post a Comment