Saturday, December 25, 2010

An American Christmas icon

Last night my family followed an American Christmas tradition and watched the iconic movie It's a Wonderful Life. It is a "feel good" movie about the value of one life and how we can be a much greater blessing to people than we realise. It also highlights the personal cost to one man of standing for justice in a community.

It is interesting to see how banks, debt, and mortgages figured heavily in American life in the first half of the twentieth century, as they do this Christmas.

There is an interesting post about the movie on the Desiring God website. [My wife brought it to my attention]. As long as you don't use the movie to define your theology, your concept of heaven, or your notion of what Christmas is all about, then it is good harmless fun. But is such a separation really possible?

2 comments:

  1. For me, the problem isn't an "over-realized eschatology" as the post at Desiring God argues. (The link was to Wikipedia, by the way, but I found the post.) For me, the problem is (a) the idea that home ownership (rather than, say, spiritual maturation) makes people much happier and nicer than they would be otherwise and (b) the idea that God works semi-magically through guardian angels rather than through persistent prayer, the Holy Spirit, &c.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the thoughtful comment. I agree these are good concerns.
    I fixed the link.

    ReplyDelete