Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Adjusting our expectations

Last night my son and I watched The Adjustment Bureau starring Matt Damon and Emily Blunt. Overall I found the movie weird, flat, and disappointing. It is interesting that some religious writers have suggested that the movie provides an exploration of free will vs. determinism and pre-destination. It does raise the question, but it is so weird and superficial I found it hard to engage with.

[Aside: I think I recall that at the White House Correspondents dinner President Obama made a joke about how bad the movie was].

The movie also continues the Hollywood pre-occupation with and idolatry of "relationships". The belief is that there really is that ONE special person out there who you are going to "fall heads over heals in love" with, based on a five minute encounter. If that hasn't happen keep searching. And if it did happen years ago, don't let go of it. Dream the dream. Only that person can make you whole. You have to sacrifice everything (and everyone else) to find them and be with them. Furthermore, "fate" or the universe or God is geared to making this happen.

Am I being too harsh or just rambling?

No comments:

Post a Comment