Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Jesus liberates the oppressed

I have started dipping into a book Clouds of Witnesses: Christian Voices from Africa and Asia by Mark A. Noll and Carolyn Nystrom. Each chapter is a stand alone biography of an influential Christian.
There is a fascinating and moving chapter about Pandita Ramabai (1858-1922). It contains some of the following quote from [I also found it in this book].

After my visit to the Homes at Fulham, where I saw this work of mercy carried on, I began to think that there was a real difference between Hinduism and Christianity. I asked the Sister who instructed me to tell me what it was that made the Christians care for and reclaim the "fallen" women. She read the story of Christ meeting the Samaritan woman, and His wonderful discourse on the nature of true worship, and explained it to me. She spoke of the infinite love of Christ for sinners . He did not despise them, but came to save them. I had never read or heard anything like this in the religious books of the Hindus. I realised, after reading the fourth chapter of John's Gospel, that Christ was truly the Divine Saviour He claimed to be, and no one but He could transform and uplift the downtrodden womanhood of India and of every land.

No comments:

Post a Comment