Thursday, August 23, 2018

What is arrogance?

The Bible talks a lot about pride, arrogance, and humility.
The Psalms lament the arrogance of the wicked.

The prophet Samuel warns King Saul (1 Samuel 15:23)
For rebellion is like the sin of divination, and arrogance like the evil of idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the Lord, he has rejected you as king.

What is arrogance?
It is an attitude that affects how we relate to ourselves, to others, and to God.

Arrogance about myself says, ``My opinions, achievements, and behaviour are better than others.'' It is blind to our own limitations and failings.

Arrogance towards others says, ``I know you. I understand you. I know what you need. I have the solution. Join my program.''
``I understand this situation. Let me explain it to you.''

Theological arrogance says,
``I know the Bible. I understand this passage. I know what it means.''
`` My theology is right. Yours is wrong.''

Arrogance towards God says,
``I don't need you, God. I can save myself. I can function fine in life without you.''
``You really should act this way and not this way.''

Arrogance is the opposite of humility. But humility, does not preclude seeing our own value or having strong convictions about what is true and what is false.
Jesus embodied humility. His teaching illuminates it.

No comments:

Post a Comment