Thursday, April 29, 2010

Laughing (painfully) at ourselves


This evening my family and I watched a DVD of Babakiueria (Barbecue Area) a satirical look at Australian aboriginal issues, using the clever device of a role reversal where blacks invade a land inhabited by whites who then become a minority. The DVD (originally a TV show in 1986) is the format of a documentary made by blacks which looks at white culture from a patronising point of view.

It is hilarious on the one hand, but cutting because some of the caricatures are so close to the truth.

You can watch it here on YouTube.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this. It reminds me of an American article I posted recently, a thought exercise considering relations between whites and African Americans:
    http://ephphatha-poetry.blogspot.com/2010/04/imagine-if-tea-party-was-black-tim-wise.html?spref=fb

    ReplyDelete