Saturday, October 10, 2009

Redemptive acts

Last night, my family and I went to a performance of Les Miserables. It was FANTASTIC! I loved it. [BTW, the lyrics are here].
One thing I really noticed was the many acts of grace and redemption that occur. One I had missed before was when Valjean turns himself to free an innocent man being held for a crime Valjean committed. Valjean sings:
Who am I?
Can I condemn this man to slavery
Pretend I do not feel his agony
This innocent who bears my face
Who goes to judgement in my place
Who am I?
Can I conceal myself for evermore?
Pretend I'm not the man I was before?
And must my name until I die
Be no more than an alibi?
Must I lie?
How can I ever face my fellow men?
How can I ever face myself again?
My soul belongs to God, I know
I made that bargain long ago
He gave me hope when hope was gone
He gave me strength to journey on
This caused me to think of how the innocent man, Jesus, took the penalty, that we the guilty deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment