Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Special or not so special

I just flew Brisbane to Los Angeles. I watched two movies. The first was The Other Guys which was barely o.k. as a plane movie but would probably be mediocre in a normal context. The second was The Special Relationship about the relationship of Tony Blair and Bill Clinton. I found it quite educational (especially about Kosovo) but a bit depressing because it is probably quite believable. I thought it made of the main players Cherie Blair came out looking good but the Clintons and Tony Blair were not portrayed in a sympathetic light (I am not saying they should be). I thought the picture it painted of the Blairs was somewhat reminiscent of that in The Queen.

1 comment:

  1. I am pretty sure The Special Relationship is a spinoff from The Queen, and while not nearly as good, I actually thought it a decent insight into the personal dynamics of political power. In that regard I thought it brought some empathy to the situation, if not sympathy. It was able to portray both the strengths and weaknesses of these leaders, and also the proclivity of the public (spurred by the media) to blow these out of proportion. At the same time, I didn't feel like it laid blame on the media or the public, but affirmed that these leaders are accountable, and responsible, precisely while showing us that they are indeed human beings.

    ReplyDelete