Wednesday, September 12, 2012

When God is on your side?

My family watched the movie Cromwell, which gives a dramatic and engaging portrayal of  Oliver Cromwell's involvement in the English Civil Wars.
It raises significant issues about monarchies, democracy, and the role of Christians in politics. It again shows how war is hell.

Cromwell is a fascinating, complex, perplexing, and controversial figure. I find him a bit scary. He had all the "right" Reformed theology and seemed to have a sincere desire to build a more just and democratic England. But, it in the end it seemed he was self-righteous and the "end justified the means".

The movie was released in 1970 and stars Richard Burton as Cromwell and Alec Guiness as King Charles I.
I first saw the movie as a boy in the early 1970's and decided about 8 years ago [while on sabbatical in the UK] that I wanted to see it again. However, I failed to find any DVD rental place that actually stocked it. This became a bit of a family joke. For Fathers Day my dear wife arranged for us to watch it from iTunes. It was worth the wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment