Wednesday, February 19, 2020

How is God a Mystery?

This month in the theology reading group we are discussing the second half of The Orthodox Way, by
Kallistos Ware. The first chapter is entitled, God as Mystery. Here are a few quotations. 
“In the Christian context, we do not mean by a "mystery" merely that which is baffling and mysterious, an enigma or insoluble problem. A mystery is, on the contrary, something that is revealed for our understanding, but which we never understand exhaustively because it leads into the depth or the darkness of God. The eyes are closed—but they are also opened.”
``while there can be no logical demonstrations of the divine reality, there are certain ``pointers''''

1. The world around us.
``If there is a `problem of evil 'there is also a `problem of good." Beauty is everywhere!

2. Within ourselves.
``Why, distinct from my desire for pleasure and dislike of pain, do I have within myself a feeling of duty and moral obligation, a sense of right and wrong, a conscience?....Within myself I bear a source of wonder, a source of constant self-transcendence.''
3. In my relationships with other humans.
At special moments we have encounters with the personhood of another, as they disclose their deepest being to us.

All three above are pointers to the transcendent, something beyond ourselves.
``It is fundamental to my character as a human being that I search everywhere for meaningful explanations... Faith in God enables me to make sense of things, to see them as a coherent whole, in a way that nothing else can do.''
More quotations from the book are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment