Monday, March 1, 2021

The active presence of God

Currently, at church, our focus, both in sermons and in small group study, is on the book of Exodus.

The Bible Project, as always, gives a helpful overview.



I am beginning to appreciate the importance of this second book of the Old Testament. Jesus highlights how he is the fulfillment of Moses many times. Exodus introduces and spells out many key concepts such as YHWH (the name of God), the sovereignty of God, ritual sacrifice, tabernacle, law, covenant, communal justice, substitutionary atonement, and deliverance.

Here, I just mention one concept that has struck me. On the one hand God is revealed as holy, set apart, and unapproachable. Yet, paradoxically God is also present and with his people. Exodus 3 says:
11 But Moses said to God, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?” 12 And God said, “I will be with you. And this will be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you[b] will worship God on this mountain.” 13 Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?” 14 God said to Moses, “I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I am has sent me to you.’”

This presence of God is then experienced by the Israelites in the cloud that leads them through the wilderness and in the tabernacle that is constructed at the end of Exodus.

This idea of the presence of the holy God is not just an abstract idea but has practical implications. Followers of YHWH (and Jesus) are to be actively present with others, particularly the poor and the oppressed.  As God is actively present with them they can be actively present with others.

The Incarnation and the Holy Spirit represent the ultimate fulfillment and embodiment of the active presence of God. Jesus said, 

As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. (John 17:18) 

“Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” (John 20:21).

No comments:

Post a Comment