Saturday, July 30, 2022

Reflections on Prayer

Guest post by Robin McKenzie

It seems to me that a lot of our prayers are Santa Claus prayers: giving God a list of things that we want him to do. Quite a few of these are things that God has already done such as forgiving us. Instead of begging God to do things he’s already promised to do seems we should thank him for what is already done and affirm him for what he is going to do. What do you think? Consider the subtle difference in wording I put in the Lord’s Prayer below. I find it helpful because it reflects a major difference in my attitude when I pray it this way.

A variation on Lord’s Prayer Matthew  6:9-15

God, I declare you are my father in heaven

I will seek to honour your name

Your kingdom is coming 

so help me to do your will on earth as it is in heaven

Thank you that you have given me what I need for the day 

Thank you that you have forgiven me for the ways I have dishonoured you

And help me to forgive those who wronged me

Thank you for protecting me from going astray

And from the evil one

For yours is the kingdom the power and the glory forever and ever 

Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment