Saturday, June 1, 2024

Course on Church, Community, and Conversations

At our church, my wife Robin and I recently helped to facilitate a course entitled The Gift and Challenge of Church, Community, and Conversations.

Central to the course was having participants in small groups at tables. Several times each session they would have some discussion questions. Every week there was one Bible passage that they read together and discussed. After the formal end of each session most people stayed at their tables continuing their discussion. I don't know how long they stayed because we went home. After all, it was past my bedtime. 💤😁

The course ran for five weeks, for two hours, on a weeknight. Below I put copies of the handouts/worksheets and of the PowerPoint slides. But I stress that they only give a flavour of the course it does not capture the table discussions or what was explained about the content in the slides.

Week 1 - The gift of Church 

HandoutSlides

Week 2 - The gift of diversity

Handout, Slides

Week 3 - The gift of welcoming

Handout, Slides

Week 4 - The gift of communities

Handout, Slides

Week 5 - The gift of conversations

Handout, Slides

The content and pedagogy of this course were enriched by what I have learnt from the IFES Logos and Cosmos Initiative about the global church, culture, context, working in diverse teams, listening, mental health and above all, relating God's Word and God's world. 


Personally, I was stimulated and challenged by the material we discussed together. Living in a community, unity in diversity, welcoming strangers, and listening to others seem appealing. However, actually doing them is a challenge! Engaging in meaningful conversations with those very different from me is not easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment